Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Kidney Shaped Vanity in French Linen

Late in the 1800s a young man immigrated from Germany to the United States.  He settled in Ohio where he and his wife raised 2 sweet girls.  He commissioned with a furniture craftsman to make a vanity for each daughter.  After being loved by four generations of young women, I had the pleasure of acquiring this tired vanity.  








I did not start to work on it for almost a year.  I read, studied, and practiced on other pieces before approaching this treasure.  My initial plan was to paint the entire piece in French Linen so I didn’t bother to strip the top.  I figured it was too far gone.  However, as you can see, that plan changed.  The beautiful wood was so worth saving. 


My version of French Linen is Coco mixed with Paris Gray.  I highlighted the moldings with a dry brush of Old White, and did a very subtle wash of Old White over the entire piece.  After the clear wax, I used some dark wax in strategic areas to add depth and character.









She has not yet been adopted into a new family.  It was an honor to have such a special piece come into our home.  So for now,  I will keep her safe in our foster care.

Thanks for stopping by.

Robin

Linking to:

LilyFieldLife

Miss Mustard Seed







6 comments:

  1. oh WOW! what a great find! i am so in love with the shape of that piece and its new look is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cassie! I was more nervous working on this more than any other piece. I have so much respect for its age, style and the history of the four generations who cared for her.

      Delete
  2. It looks amazing! I wonder why the family let it out of their possession? It should be treasured! So beautiful and love your color choice/finishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! The woman I bought it from never had children and felt it was time for it to find a new home. I hope someone comes along and feels as you do...wanting to treasure it.

      Delete
  3. hi Robin. as you know I just love French Linen and this is such a good match. It's a beautiful transformation. well done
    thanks for sharing at my Paint parade
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona! I think French Linen is about as close to a perfect color as you can get! But in our area here (near the ocean) Old White and pastels (blues, aquas, etc) are the retail choice of color.

      No Paint Parade the week of 7/29?

      Delete